6.17.2008

Getting over goofy notions that the environment is sacred.

Me and Kyle went to McAlisters last night for dinner and got into a conversation about the fire works tent he'll be working at this 4th of July.

Kyle: "Sean and Aaron had to go to this sales thing for the fireworks stand, to teach them selling techniques and stuff. Sean told me that there was this Christian band that played regular pop music but just replaced words with 'god'."

Me: "Of course there was. Why wouldn't they play a fireworks sales event?"

Kyle: "And Sean was talking to a manager of another tent and he was all 'I love fireworks. I LOVE fireworks. Praise fireworks. PRAISE JESUS.'"

Me: "Well, sure. That makes sense."

Kyle: "Don't you think that's sort of horrible?"

Me: "What?"

Kyle: "That guy pretty much just put dying for our sins on the same field as fireworks."

Me: "Why is that horrible? People really like fireworks, Kyle."

Random guy getting a lid for his sweet tea: "I have to say I agree with you." He says it as he's walking off, with the most disgusting Texas accent ever muttered in Albuquerque when the Balloon Fiesta isn't going on. Kyle and I just freeze and stare at eachother for a second, then burst into a not-so-well controlled fit of laughter.

Now, what makes this so funny is I have no idea who the guy was agreeing with, me or Kyle. If he was agreeing with Kyle, that's pretty funny. But if he was agreeing with me, that's even funnier. OF COURSE, all my statements were made in jest.

But the best part of the story is I didn't even see the guy until we walked out of the restaurant at the same time. The guy looked exactly how I would picture Jimmy McHughes, Mattlahoma's super conservative Christian father, if he was 15 years younger and a few inches shorter. I then watched young Jimmy get into the largest SUV in the parking lot, with the custom license plate that said POLARBR and drive off.

Me: "I have to go home now and blog about this."

Maria's home, safe and sound. I think she's still pretty rattled, the pictures she showed me of her car are just UNBELIEVABLE. That she's still here, walking and talking, I don't even want to say it, but it's seriously a miracle. I know how grateful I am to that collapsible Toyota, I can't even imagine how grateful her parents are. She's pretty freaking sore, but luckily, she lives with the pro of healing post-car wreck. I told Kenneth last night that my hitting things with my front end has to produce some good. Somewhere.

By the way, props to the dollar theater for carding rated R movies. It made family discount Mondays almost bearable.

1 comment:

Der General said...

You and Kyle must have the best conversations EVER because I was laughing from that.