1.19.2008

I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.

My time in the tri state area is almost up. I’m officially leaving on Monday, making this the longest stop on my trip. I will have stayed for five weeks. That completely blows my mind.

I can officially say that five weeks is about the right amount of time to “see” New York in. I woke up this morning and went, “Okay, what am I going to do today?’ I ended up going to the Guggenheim, which I felt like I had to see, by default. Of course, the best part of that place is the actual building. But I was pleasantly surprised to walk into a construction site. Almost all of the galleries were closed, only two were open. But because of that, I only had to pay $5, as opposed to $15. And I was totally into it, getting to (almost) see the inner workings of multi million dollar instillations and listening to power tools while looking at Renoir. Snap.

I also went to the Papaya King and I'm officially proclaiming them KING of NYC dawgs. And trust me, I've done some shopping. Just, ahh, that feeling when you bite into one hot off the grill and it explodes with grease and hickory goodness... Man, it don't get better. It helps that the place was originally designed to serve juices and they still do, so you don't feel like complete cardiac arrest after eating there.

I also had a great day yesterday, visited in Brooklyn Museum. Now, THAT is a museum. So many of Manhattan’s museums are just these extensive collections that leave your eyes tired and your brain completely full. The Brooklyn Museum felt very much like a working place, not so static. They also house The Dinner Party by Judy Chicago, which might be kind of important. Cari, I thought of you! Not only that but suggested entrance fee for students is $4. What up? I’ve been working on my list of 5 things you MUST do when you’re in New York. One of those things is go to an outer borough. Another is go to a museum. Why not combine the two?!?

I also went to see 27 Dresses yesterday. Aww, Cyclops falls in love with Izzy! It was kind of adorable, not gonna lie. It might have made me want to be a bridesmaid one of these days. It definitely made me want to sing Benny & the Jets on top of a table at a dive bar.

But, this weekend is mostly for tying up loose ends, making sure I take in absolutely everything I can. I might even go brave the Staten Island Ferry just for the hell of it. I'll also probably be visiting the Museum of Sex tomorrow. I mean, why not, right?

I officially made a commitment to start work at the theater again in mid February. This is a smart move, to financially recover and to start saving for apartments and such. But, I feel a little repetitive, a little under adventurous in doing so. That place is so dangerous for me. I really do love it so much that it’s always hard to leave it. So, I just wind up staying there. I really do wish I could make a decent living there. But, we all know that can’t happen.

But, probably the highlight of the weekend thus far was watching Con Air with my grandpa tonight. Why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?

1 comment:

Chas said...

Is that where the "The Order" from the Cremaster series was filmed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxRPavquIQ