1.24.2008

Friedenville!


West-bound.


I left the red house in Little Ferry on Monday, as planned. It was a little sad to see it, and my grandfather waving wildly from the window, go but I had five great weeks getting to know him and getting to visit the bestest city in the history of the bestest. All my life I've wanted to see what it would be like to live in New York/New Jersey, to be part of that massive flow of commuters, to actually BE a New Yorker, not just an observer. Well, it turns out I'm an observer in general. But, I do feel like I managed to blend in pretty well.


My last view of 'er. I'll be there again soon.


I headed through New Jersey (amazing fact: I tried really freaking hard to find some NJ souvenirs, postcards even. I guess, no one wants to prove they were in New Jersey. I stopped at at least six places along the way.) for my Aunt Madeline's house in Pennsylvania. She lives real close to the Jersey border, so it was really just a prep drive for the massive driving I'll be doing the next two weeks.


Smile!


Aunt Madeline is, by definition, a cat lady. She’s just got a big heart. She used to have lots and lots of feral cats that lived around her house and she started feeding them in the winters. She always had one or two actual domestic cats inside, but recently the ferals have ventured inward, in more of an attempt to keep them from breeding. So now, she’s got seven indoor cats: Paulette, Simone, Unis, Timmek, Mitch, Carly and Trevor. She still has 4 ferals hanging out, a dramatic decrease from the 17 that were here last time I visited, but she’s managed to trap two of them (and many more over the years) and get them fixed. See, big heart.


Timmek's my favorite because he's only got one eye.


I spent a few very relaxing days in Pennsylvania binging on One Tree Hill and the OC on soapnet. What the hell is it about those two shows that lends themselves so well to mindless days? I hate them when I’m busy, but on sick days or vacation days, man, am I ever down with some Adam Brody. Nope, not proud to admit that. At all.

And today, I headed through Pennsylvania.


And Ohio.


To get to Michigan.

Almost 600 miles. Thankfully, I had someone with me to help with the driving.


The bitterly cold motor city welcomed me back. Detroit is the first “double up” of my trip, one of only two places I’ll visit twice. The other is of course, Oklahoma. I can’t ignore my room, now can I? My main reason for coming back was for Ben Folds and the Ann Arbor Folk Festival tomorrow night, but I think it’ll be fantastic to spend some more time with cousin Jackie. We might head to Cleveland for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I mean, why not?

But right now, sleep. Thank you.

2 comments:

ashley said...

I am pleased to hear of your Adam Brody appreciation, as he shall be playing the Flash in the Justice League Movie, and we must all prepare to love it.

Say hi to Uncle Borders in Ann Arbor!

And hi to Uncle Ben!

We got your glasses HAPPILY, and the shell survived. We love you sooooooooooooooo much.

Anonymous said...

Aww, cyclops kitty!