1.16.2008

Who ya gonna call?

Somewhere in the last few years I’ve become the kind of person that loves modern art, fulfilling my prophecy as a fine arts major. I looked at myself in the mirror in the MoMA bathroom today, with my lego glasses, my thrift store shirt, my oversized red & blue leather purse, and for a second, I couldn’t see myself. Then I looked down and saw my old, battered checkered Vans, the very shoes I insisted in suspending in. It made me feel about 50 times better about myself. See, it all comes back to ska.


I want to tell you about my all-time favorite place in New York, the Public Library on 42nd and 5th. Yesyes, home of Patience and Fortitude, the infamous lions from Ghostbusters. My mom loved those lions when she was a kid, so she made sure to take me to see them as often as possible when I was growing up. I guess that kind of love is genetic. Oh, those lions. They're like comfort food in the middle of all that madness. You can just sit and relax under their watchful eye, while the whole city runs past you.

Speaking of, NYC's currently on fire over the Giants, normally the joke of the NFC, making the final four. For once in their lives, New Yorkers are hanging up the Yankee gear for some red and blue.

I break outta here on Monday, rural Pennsylvania-bound. And there I will sleep, shed off all this city skin I've grown in my aunt's farmhouse with her 17 cats. I'm not kidding, it's Kyle's deathbed. Tomorrow I think I'll venture to the Jersey shore, play some skeeball and trace back to my View Askew roots.

2 comments:

Angie Manfredi said...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF JEEBUS, GO TO ASBURY PARK.

That is all for now. Except I love you and miss you and, also, for realz, I took that EXACT SAME PICTURE of the pier at Coney Island seven years ago. FOR REAL.

Emily said...

I got your post card today. Thank you!!
Safe travels, Adventurous One.
I miss you. Meow.