11.29.2007

Bud Light tall boys.

Happy holidays! Buy discount!



Wednesday was a happy trip to the largest outlet mall I have ever seen. While I am on all kinds of a budget right now, I did spend $5 on a Liz Claiborne wallet and $12 on Vicki's panties. Good buys, good times.


Found at the calendar store. Annie will never be this basset.


And today. I did the most Michigan thing of all...


Car shopped at a Ford dealership.


And how am I finding the Great Lakes State? Yesterday was the first time I drove through the actual city of Detroit and found it to be a lot like other mid west cities. Lots of industry, lots of abandoned industry, lots of places I want to explore. I've been given a lot of strict warnings about how horrible Detroit is, how high the crime rate is. But, I seriously can't see it being any worse than Albuquerque. Don't be a dumbass and dumbass things won't happen to you.

The thing that always gets me about urban ghettos is I never think they're ghetto. I guess it's because Albuquerque ghettos are so freaking different. I mean, I see brick and think that everyone's rich! (thanks, desert) I'm just so fascinated by them, I want to run around taking hundreds of pictures and explore every building. I hear you're not supposed to do that in the "actual ghetto".

But, possibly more interesting to me are the history of the unions here. I really wanted to learn about all that while I was here. But, how does one just LEARN about something like that? No museum for it, so I'm gonna look for a book. Same deal goes for motown.

I guess a big part of me wishes I could be in the city of Detroit, experiencing all of this. But, I doubt it would be any more satisfying, as I'm staying with a real life auto worker and union member. There's nothing less real about suburbia, I think I need to remind myself of that more. People'll be studying that in 50 years just as intensely. Living history.

On that note, how important is it that I go to Niagara Falls? I'll be on the Canadian side, which I hear is much better, but I'm still on the fence. Tell me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had the chance to go to Niagra Falls, I would. I heard it's amazing

Anonymous said...

Catherine, I'm at Teresa's house and reading this and loving it.Mom