11.28.2007

Joseph Smith is dum, dum, dum, dum, dum!

I was in my car for more than 20 hours on Sunday & Monday, driving over 1,000 miles. I'm now residing in good ol suburbia: Southgate, Michigan. 1,000 miles? That's a lot of state lines and photo opportunities.


It's not actually the world's largest McDonalds. But it likes to think it is. Still pretty impressive that it's a bridge.


Located in Vinita, Oklahoma, it's pretty much the most interesting thing from Norman to St. Louis. Normally, I'm a huge fan of driving through the Ozarks. It's like a mythical fairy land in the warmer months. The winter leaves it cold and a little post-apocalyptic feeling.


Missouri state line: Saddened, no sign to prove my accomplishment.


I stayed the night in a Motel 6 in Fenton, Missouri. This action; booking a motel room and staying in one, ALL BY MY LONESOME. Call me a sissy girl, but staying the night in a random motel room in a city you know little to nothing about was a kinda scary move for me.


Luckily, some White Castle helped my situation.


The next morning, I had a mission: eat breakfast under the St. Louis arch. I loved that structure as a kid, when me and my mom would hop on a Greyhound and go see her sisters in New Jersey. I loved driving by it, and secretly hated St. Louis for not having their bus station closer to its arch.


Up thure.


It was an eery morning, no warmer than 20 degrees. But, more than that, NO ONE was there. Just me and my Krispy Kreme, all alone under this giant freaking arch.


But still, mission accomplished.
(kinda in love with that photo.)


St Louis is my kind of town. I hope, I hope, I hope I find a magical, free place to stay on my way back, so I can spend hours upon days exploring all of the bridges, the abandoned buildings and factories. It's a city of jazz and I found myself so drawn to its eeriness.


Fretting in Illinois after no sign and rest area to search for sign. Has my plan to take pictures at all state lines been completely foiled by the department of transportation?!?


90% of my drive looked a lot like this, as some big ol rain clouds followed me the entire way. Most of the time, it was just pleasant, nothing threatening. And I got to break in my new tires!

Also, saw another giant, freakin cross. I like the one on I-40 better. It has a gift shop.


Indiana state line: Look how happy this jackass was.


Almost as happy as when she found a Hardees in Indianapolis.


Speaking of, cities in the midwest are my new-found love. All of this abandoned industry, there's a railyard every mile, each with their own stories, their own preservation societies, their own protective neighborhoods. Just to make way for new factories that'll be vacant in another 50 years. I'll go explore them, all of them, someday. All of this gives me so many fantastic ideas for video instillations. And where I need to spend more time on the way back.


Ohio State Line: Thanks, Ike.


I took lots of detours in Indiana and Ohio, exploring the small town farms and industry. Also, kinda fell in love with it. This trip is terrible for how much MORE it makes me want to do and explore.


Michigan State Line: Where you at?


I'm doin well in the Great Lakes state, spending lots of time with my cousin Jackie, and sleeping off a long drive. Tomorrow, we head to the Detroit Institute of Art and I will blog about driving by 8 Mile and outlit malls tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.