1.17.2009

Alone in my Principles.


I've always remembered this picture. Regardless of the house we lived in, my mom always had a print of it on the wall. Wikipedia tells us that "Christina's World" depicts Christina Olson, one of Wyeth's neighbors in Cushing, Maine, who had an undiagnosed muscular deterioration that paralyzed her lower body, possibly polio. Wyeth was visiting the Olson house, looked out through a window and saw Christina crawling across a field, which inspired him to make the painting. I guess Mom's always been connected to it, for somewhat obvious reasons.

When I visited the MOMA, I was almost out the door, in the store looking for a postcard to send my mom, when I saw a postcard of Christina. Of course, the MOMA had it. I went back into the museum and found it; sat by it for a good 20 minutes.

The nice part about creating something like that is that it'll always be around.


In 2005, Wyeth painted this, of his manager and wife of 56 years, Betsy. Even though Wyeth wanted it to be titled "Betsy's World", but his wife refused. He called it "Other World" instead.

Anyway, just some things.

Job's gotten better. I feel a little better, after making some friends and getting back into a groove. I also like knowing that it's only 60 days. However, the Railrunner really hasn't gotten any better. 4 major delays in 4 straight days, all days that I was planning on riding. They better get that straightened out, because there is no way I'm parking at the Capitol. Ya hear?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looked at Christina and told her Andrew Wyeth had died, both of them--the one in the living room and the post card you sent me.