9.16.2008

Blue eyes blind like the sun.


I feel like I've always known Kyle. Not in some mystical, cosmic kind of way, but just that he's always been around. When people ask how or when we met, I never have a good answer. I know he went to ska shows I went to for years before we were friends. I remember the first Made in Bangladesh show because I was fresh off a break up and busy flirting with someone else. :) But I guess we weren't friendly till I was friendly with Chas.


But there's not much of a story in it. He started hanging around, I started taking notice of him. I can tell you that he was completely oblivious to me until I was kissing his face. And even then, he swears he was still confused. (This is not unbelievable, and completely adorable, if you know Kyle.)


We started out slow. But, I remember being amazed at how easy it was to be with him. I was never stressed out when he was around. We just sort seemed to fall into place after a few months. Before I knew it, a few months turned into a year. Then, another year. And now, another. He's still here, the tall boy and his level head. I'm really such a lucky girl.


I've never put much emphasis on our relationship being perfect or quintessential. He's never been my everything, I'll never be his. We never plan things ahead of time. We hardly ever talk about "our future together" (mostly because that term MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT). But, everything seems to work out regardless, It's hands down, the best relationship I've ever had. He knows exactly who I am. And even though we don't talk about it, I think he'll be around for a long time to come.


Well, today, it's been 3 years since the first time we kissed. Three freaking years he's been around. Through Ska Prom and finals week. Through divorce and death. Through burlesque shows and broken cars. Through graduation and fires, from New York City and back to the desert, he's been there. I can honestly say I didn't think we'd make it this long when we started. But, little did I know I'd ended up with a most fantastic person; a smart and honest one; which is such a rare combination.


Like I said, there's not much of a story to it. It's actually remarkably simple. But, not to say it's been boring. I think it's rare to meet someone as geniune as Kyle Johnson. I do cherish him. Sometimes, I find myself waiting for some kind of fallout, some drastic complication. Then, I remember to sit back, relax, and remember how good I have it. Like I said, I'm a lucky girl.


Happy anniversary, tall awkward boyfriend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lucky bitch.

However, I still want to make out with this post.

Awwww, yeah.

ashley said...

I'm all googly eyed.

Emily said...

Congratulations you two love birds! Que cute :)