8.26.2008

Love is just God on a good day.


This past weekend was, hopefully, the last trip I take to Denver for a good, long while. I don't mind that drive too terribly much, but dang, let's go somewhere else. At least each trip I've taken up there has been a completely unique experience, from bar hopping in Trinidad to heat stroke at Mile High and now, rope burn at Red Rocks. Only two things have remained constant: 1) Marky's gone with me every, single time; 2) I've gotten sick everytime I've come back. My sinuses are driving me INSANE. I now know how capable I really am of discomfort.

And speaking of discomfort, we fit 5 people in a Dodge Neon for this trip; me, Joel, Casey, Marky and Sam. NO REALLY. But, by doing that, it meant we only spent $20 each on gas for the trip. That is freaking incredible.

We hit the road at about 7 on Thursday night, stopping in Raton so that Marky could get some dramamine. We made it into Denver close to 3am and went straight to sleep at Sarah's apartment. We got up the next morning and ate Silver Mine Subs and went to the venue.

Red Rocks is pretty. We really had absolutely no idea what to expect crowd-wise, so we got there at about 1.


We were the first people in line.


And in fact, the only people in line for almost 2 hours. People didn't start getting there till 3. But, we kept ourselves occupied.


Sambro brought his skateboard and his long board, so we puttered around the parking lot.


Classic Cat and Marky. I really must apologize for the image quality from here on out. My camera is sinking fast. And while I wait to move, I can't justify spending $1,000 on a D-80. Why, financial responsibility, WHY?

When we got really bored, this happened:



Which I put on youtube under the title ULTIMATE BACKYARD BRAWL: BENNETT VS. SYLAR. I can't wait for people to comment.

The show itself had a great lineup: NoFX, Bouncing Souls, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Street Dogs. But, the venue wasn't the best place for punk rock. All the seats are built into the ground, so having an open pit was next to impossible. People did still do it; have ridiculous pit action close to the stage, but it was seriously the most dangerous activity I had ever seen. Between that and the "barrier" made by metal poles and nylon rope, our crew got pretty banged up. But, I don't think anyone of us minded that much. The Street Dogs were okay. Every time I see them, all I can think about is how they're not the Murphys. And how if I told any one of their fans that the Street Dogs were pop punk (which they are, in fact), I would get punched in the face. The Bouncing Souls played a great set, the Bosstones were fun dance time, and NoFX hardley screwed up! Overall, it ended up being so, so, so worth it.

The next day, we slept in, got up and ate at Illegal Pete's which is like Chipotle but better. Then we went to the Cherry Creek mall so Marky could spend $225 on new sunglasses and so we could spy on the bacon slide.


I call it: Breakfast at Play.


It became clear that even though we had talked about coming home on Saturday, that wasn't going to happen. We all wanted an extra vacation day. So, we stayed and IMAXed the Dark Knight. How jealous are all of you? It was fun, the IMAX experience was pretty worth it and I think I appreciated it a lot more the second time around. Then we went to Dave N Busters where me and Sarah had the most intense game of air hockey on record.

Sunday morning, we got up and started our drive home.


Three dudes in a back seat, 2 guys, and a girl in a pizza place.


By far, the most eventful stop on the way home was Fountain Colorado. Because of construction, we ended up detouring around the famous fountain and Joel, who swore we wouldn't stop the whole way home, was incessant that we go see the fountain.



We finally got to the gas station we had originally intended in going to, where Joel bought the best shirt known to man:


and the best hat known to man:


We stopped at infamous Russell's Truck Stop outside of infamous Springer to take pictures of infamous dog pooping signs, which they have for sale inside so people would stop stealing them.




Casey, having a bit of gum trouble.


We made it home in time for me to pass out by 10. Nothing weak about that weekend, for sure. It's always brutal to come back to work after having the best vacation. Sinus drainage doesn't help either. WHINE.

In other news, I still can't find a job and I'll be spending most of my week in Edgewood watching the DNC with my momma. It's tradition.

No comments: