6.26.2007

Making change is haaaaaard!

NEWSFLASH: Holy God, there is a Taco Bueno on San Mateo now. I almost wrecked my car when I saw it.

BLOG: Last night, me and Kenneth decided to go to Macs Steak in the Ruf for dinner, an old standby for us. We get there, we order. Our total is $19.03. So, we get out a 20 dollar bill and 3 pennies, $20.03. Simple enough.

As we’re waiting, we see these two high school cholas get into a car any say, “What a dumb bitch!” in unison.

The girl comes out with our food on a shiny new red tray. After searching the rather basic receipt for at least 30 seconds, she says, “Your total is $19.03.”

“Okay,” says I, handing her the $20.03.

She immediately deposits 97 cents in my hand. I look at her a little bit perplexed.

“Is that right?” she says.

“Actually, I gave you $20.03, so I should get a dollar back,” I say, handing her the change.

She takes it back, stares at it, and says, “So, wait, what?”

“Well, the total was $19.03, so I gave you $20.03. I should get a dollar for change.” (Keep in mind this whole time me and Kenneth were planning on giving her the dollar.)

It takes her a second to react. “Um, I don’t get it,” she says, still staring at the change.

“I just need a dollar back. Not the 97 cents, I gave you three pennies to make up for it.”

No response, still staring at the change.

“Okay. I’m gonna go inside and get you some… straws,” she says. She scurries off.

Kenneth and me sit there for about 3 minutes, waiting for straws. They never come. Clearly, this girl is not coming back and she had NO idea what just happened.

“I don’t think she’s coming back,” I say.

“Wanna steal their tray?” Kenneth says.

“Sure.”

So, I guess we paid a dollar for a nice, new serving tray, which we are actively searching out uses for, other than hitting one another with.