8.27.2009

Purple hung so low to the ground.


I grew up around the Kennedys. I think one of the first "adult" books I read was a biography of JFK. I spent hours flipping through a photo book of Jackie Kennedy. I was always fixated on them, the idea of this perfect American family; such history, such tradition. While most 9 year girls I knew wanted to be Toni Braxton or Whitney Houston, I wanted to be a Kennedy.

The Kennedys are the reason I fell in love with politics. I wanted to understand them and that meant understanding politics. Mom & Dad set up the framework, sure, but what actually got me there was having a face to match. And I really do love politics. So much so, that when I was asked to work a Senator, regardless of much that Senator's political affiliation didn't match mine, I still felt a sense of duty to it; this was a chance for me, little old me, to make even a hair of difference, like the people I had read about. In fact, I don't think I can find myself happy in a job that doesn't include public service.

So, when the last member of the triumvirate joined his brothers, I got a tad emotional. It really is the end of an era.

And on a much less serious note...


Possums.


Chelsey saw one in the backyard about a week ago. Possums are things of foreign myth to this New Mexican and I'm very, very excited to spot one on my own. Chelsey tells me that they are very nasty creatures (evidence above). I'd still like to pet one.

If that scared you, I'll make up for it with adorable pictures of my wonderdog taking a bath and jumping on the couch. Proud parent, am I.



3 comments:

Der General said...

Gertie is made of so much cute. Thanks for these. They are amazing.

ashley said...

CUTEST 3 MINUTES OF VIDEO I HAVE EVER WATCHED.

jennifer said...

i love the video. gertie is quite the cutie. in regards to the possum... those are evil, vile creatures. disgusting hissy scratchy bitey garbage can hiders.