5.02.2009

The weather outside is weather.


I live in Oklahoma now.


I've been busy since I've been in Oklahoma. Wednesday: I got in, narrowly outrunning a huge rain storm and getting pulled over by an agent of the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics. Apparently, I was "drifting off the road". My true crime, I'm sure, was carrying a mattress and having out of state plates. Lesson #1 about Oklahoma: They have a Bureau of Narcotics that gets enough money to hire agents to patrol highways. Thursday, I went with Matt to Tulsa to watch him record some vocals with the infamous Stephen Egerton and saw a midnight showing of Wolverine. Friday, I went to an MC Chris show, then a drag show, and then a house party where there was a 3 month old cocker spaniel puppy. HEART MELTED. Today, I saw John Moreland and the Black Gold Band play at the Oklahoma History Center. Somewhere in there, I found time to unpack my life into a new room.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to think about leaving. I feel a little delicate, a little like I'm just waiting for the brick wall. I haven't really gotten to the point where I'm missing things a lot, with the exception of Kyle. Miss him like deserts miss the rain. But all in all, this move feels really calculated. Almost routine. I'm not sleeping well, my body misses desert sleeping. This humidity is a lot harder to take than I remember. And it's not even summer yet.


It's been overcast and rainy since I got here. Everything's so incredibly green and clean-looking. The clouds are ridiculously low all the time. It's compacting, but it's still got that midwestern feeling of limitless at the same time.

New roommate Chelsey is an absolute dear. She loves Oklahoma so much, so she's not only making a special effort to show me around, she's also sympathetic about when I do miss home. And our place is great. Pictures to follow shortly.

No job yet, haven't been looking too hard. I'm sure when that freakout comes, it'll be massive.


I've got a giant oak tree in my new backyard. When the wind blows, which is pretty often, it sounds nothing sort of magical. My only regret is that I can't climb it.

1 comment:

Der General said...

Glad you made it to OK ok. Ha!!