6.10.2007

WHY IS MICHAEL BUBLE PLAYING AT EVERY STARBUCKS IN THE WORLD?!?!



Sup dude.


(Photo post to follow)

Yesterday was a busy outdoor day. Sarah and I got an early start, leaving the house around 11:30. First stop was City Park, a 330+ acre park right in the middle of Denver. They advertised having paddle boats, something me and Sarah were pretty excited about. However, upon arriving at the park, a huge chunk of it was under construction, including the paddle boat pond!

However, we got a very unexpected surprise, in the form of geese.



First, there were a few, here and there. They seemed to have no hesitation about people. And then, someone broke out the bread.



HOLY SHIT. At least 200 geese came from all over. It was a little scary, I’m sure they could have tackled some poor, harmless child at any point.



Geese effing everywhere.



And a majestic fountain.



After the City Park, we went to the Botanic Gardens, probably the bargain of the city; only $5 for students in the summer ($4 in the winter). 23 acres, all covered in plants. If it would stand still, it had something growing by it. Also, it’s open til 8 on weekends in the summers.



The best part about it were these fantastic ponds, in what they called the “Monet Garden”. They really should have called the whole thing the Denver Monet Gardens, because there were ponds all over, all still, making fantastic reflections.



Also impressive was their Japanese garden. It was so tranquil. There was even a tea house which we really wanted to go into, but there was a tea ceremony in progress, dang it.





YOU WISH YOU WERE HERE.



Kissey face. I wish it was in focus. Damn camera…



But, all in all, blind photography is getting kind of interesting.





Also, Sarah and me were pretty excited about this giant ant.



YES.



We spent at least an hour just hanging out on the grass, watching one of the many weddings in progress at the park. Good day.

I’ve started a “Five Things You Might Want To Do When You’re In: …” thing, for all the cities I’ve been to. Not sure if I like it yet. I still feel very much like a tourist. I think those lists are for those who really know the city. When does tourist become resident. I wonder. I’ve been trying to avoid tourist-things, like the Denver Mint or the Coors Brewery Tour (if it was any other brewery besides Coors…) and trying to find more local activities, like the park. However, I think experiencing local Denver requires a Broncos game. Maybe in the fall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right! I do wish I was there. What is it with botanic gardens and giant insects?


P.S. Geese!!

picklish said...

Them's some bee-yoo-tiful gardens. They remind me of this park I went to in France that used to be the site of one of Napoleon's palaces.

I am in love with that giant ant!

Angie Manfredi said...

OMG, I'm such an evil whore for missing your birthday. But me and the old man went to Albuquerque and you know how he rolls. ANYWAY, happy belated awesome birthday day of birth, I promise I was thinking of you!

And now I am REALLY, REALLY wishing I had went with you to Denver because this is only the coolest thing ever and it would have been so fabulous to wander around the museum/park with you and Sarah! I made the wrong choooooice! But at least we had fun time days in Raton.

And, as an aside, I think you ABSOLUTELY should do the five things for each city and you should do it because it'll be more of a tourist/visit perspective instead of the million and one "local" guides of such that exist. AND it won't be SUPER TOURIST/COMMON (like the Mint, etc.) but it will also not be it'll take you three hours to get to this spot and bring lots of maps/100% insider-live-here-25-years-know-everything-and-everywhere-oh-so-hipster kind of vibe either.

And this is the longest comment EVAR so I shall conclude by saying that in the sculpture garden in NOLA there was a giant spider. Hmmm, that sculptor gets AROUND ...

ashley said...

How beautiful!! Sounds like you're having a great time. <3 Love you! miss you!

Der General said...

Wow! Your photos are beautiful ma'am! Gorgeous gardens.